Thursday, July 06, 2006

Nanometres of Unlimited Potential

Two consecutive days of blogging... well one and a half.

Having heard Paul Reynolds give us his general, political and professional commentary on the state of technology (and I have to say I thorougly enjoyed his talk), it was on to smaller things - nanotechnology (pun intended!)

So here we were, a room full of technology geeks (for want of a better word) waiting with bated breath to hear about the latest academic research into nanotechnology. The speaker comes up after being introduced and then proceeds to explain to us what a nanometre is... 'a human is in the scale of metres tall, a human hair is in the scale of millimetres (still smaller than a nanometre) ...' I realise that this forms the basic understanding for the scale of things but I'd like to think that a technologist would know what a nanometre ( or for that matter any high school physics student...). Needless to say I felt quite patronised by the whole thing (though I'm sure it was completely unintentional). This doesn't take away in the slightest from the research that the academics are doing but I'm sure discussion on more of the research would have been a lot more engrossing (maybe it's my research background speaking...)

More ranting to follow...

1 comment:

Aditya Prateek Anand said...

Its the usual academic arrogance of anyone outside their world. Well, you know how the saying goes: those who can do, those who can't - teach