Wednesday, July 26, 2006

A crisis of opportunities

Outsourcing the bane of many IT professionals' existence. I recently met a fellow IT geek (professional I mean...) whose response summed up the way a lot of people think about it. His organisation is currently undergoing a strategic transformation - but wait before you get excited for all this means is that a new manager is doing a bit of sweeping to clear the decks as it were. Part of his organisation's strategy includes the big 'O' - outsourcing. So, here I am and I ask him a question 'So what do you think about Outsourcing?' - expecting one of two responses, a resounding yes or a doomsaying nay. He just looks at me and says 'What can I do except wait until I get sacked?' Now, this doesn't sum up the way all IT professionals look at it but certainly includes a fair chunk of them. Without a doubt, outsourcing does mean job losses but it also means opportunities (as discussed in an earlier blog).

It's like a quote I once heard ' The germans use the same word for crisis as opportunity' - and no it's not crisotunity!

No comments: